So, you may have noticed that it’s coming up to Christmas so, naturally, I had to find some kind of dreadfully unhealthy treat to which I could add candy canes.
This year, I think I may have outdone myself.
(Just reading the recipe makes my teeth hurt just a bit. And they are dangerously tasty. Beware)
The working title for this was marshmallow-hot-chocolate-candy-cane-coco-pop treats. But, since the greater part of the world knows marshmallow plus puffed rice as “rice krispies” that’s what I’m going with also.
6 cups coco pops, coco snaps, or other coco-flavoured puffed rice cereal
1/4 cup butter
1 bag of mini marshmallows, plus 2 cups divided (About a bag and a half total)
6 Tbsp hot chocolate mix
6 mini candy canes or 3 regular sized candy canes
1. Line a baking tray or pan with baking paper.
2. Melt butter in large pot over low heat.
3. Add one bag of mini marshmallows and hot chocolate powder.
4. Stir while continuing to cook over low heat until marshmallows are melted and chocolate is mixed in. Remove from heat.
5. Unwrap your candy canes, put them in a plastic bag, and bash them into powder & chunks.
6. Mix in your 6 cups Coco Snaps or equivalent. DO NOT BE TERRIFIED IF THE MIXTURE LOOKS LIKE COBWEBS.
7. Add in MOST of the rest of your mini marshmallows and all of the pulverized candy canes.
8. Stir until marshmallows & candy canes are evenly distributed.
9. Pour into the prepared pan. Use an extra piece of baking paper to press it down – it’s very sticky.
10. If you have remaining mini marshmallows, pour them on top and press into the mix.
11. Cool for 30 minutes and cut into squares.
Store air tight for up to 2 days.
Original recipe found all OVER the place.